Romney’s VP pick Paul Ryan on the USPS
August 11, 2012No Comments
Since 1971, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) has been a self-supporting wholly governmental entity that was designed to cover its operating expenses with revenues generated through the sales of postage and related products. However, the sharp decline in first class mail since 2006 and the loss of the associated revenues coupled with high operating expenses has left the USPS in a difficult financial position. In the first three quarters of this year, the USPS has run a deficit of $5.7 billion and is not expected to be able to make the mandatory $5.5 billion Retiree Health Benefits Fund payment by November 18, 2011. With declining revenues and increased expenses, it is imperative that Congress take action to address and reform the structural issues threatening to bankrupt this important agency.
At this point in the 112th Congress, a variety of Committee hearings, have resulted in a number of bills designed to address the financial problems facing the USPS. Representative Darrell Issa, Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which is charged with oversight of the USPS, introduced H.R. 2309, Postal Reform Act of 2011, on June 23, 2011. The bill would create the Postal Service Financial Responsibility and Management Assistance Authority, which would have a broad mandate to restructure the Postal Service and reduce costs in order to bring the institution back to fiscal solvency when the Postal Service goes into default to the Federal government. The Authority will be disbanded once the United States Postal Service (USPS) meets several benchmarks that ensure financial health.
- Rural mail carriers violating Florida’s seat belt law 11 comment(s)
- What would have to happen for you to be willing to give up the evaluated system? 5 comment(s)
- United States Congress: Picking Winners and Losers in the Shipping Game 3 comment(s)
- The Future of Flats and FSS 3 comment(s)
- USPS: No delivery until “Moose” the pit bull goes 3 comment(s)
- NRLCA National Board working on Blue-Tooth connected scanner compensation issues 3 comment(s)
- L’Enfant Plaza – We have a spontaneous combustion problem 2 comment(s)
- Suspect wanted in connection with slaying of postal carrier arrested 2 comment(s)
- Lesser of Two Evils – A Ruralinfo.net Guest Blog 2 comment(s)
- Representative Peter DeFazio is wondering where you are? 1 comment(s)